Storage tanks are widely used in many industries for the storage of fluids such as water, petroleum products, and chemicals. They are constructed of concrete, steel, polyethylene, and fiberglass reinforced plastic (FRP.) During the last two decades, the use of FRP has grown dramatically in the number of new vessels and for tank repairs. Since tank leaks can cause problems including lost revenue from downtime, lost liquid revenue costs, and environmental issues, it is important to call experienced FRP professionals to deal with critical tank leak repair work to solve issues and prevent leaks.
Why Does Tank Leak Repair Become Necessary?
All types of tanks can deteriorate due to corrosion from tank contents, damage from external elements, insufficient support or reinforcement, structural and fire damage, and the normal effects of aging. Fiberglass tank repairs need to be done by professionals who are highly trained to perform the repair work correctly. Many years of service life can be added by expert repair work.
How Fiberglass Tank Repairs are Completed
The approach for fiberglass tank repair projects involves these steps that tank leak repair experts use:
- Determine the causes of the leaks or tank problems.
- Assess the extent of the problems and establish the repair needs.
- Select appropriate repair methods.
- Prepare the damaged areas for repair.
- Use suitable repair methods.
- Cure the repair work.
- Inspect and assure quality work.
Fiberglass tank repairs involve these key points:
- Once part of a tank is damaged, all repairs become secondary bonds, attached to the original structure. Consequently, successful fiberglass repairs rely on the adhesive quality of the resin used for the strength of the physical bond to the structure.
- Increasing the surface area used for the repair will increase the strength and durability of the bonding repair.
- The repair work is intended to match the thickness, density, and ply orientation of the original structure so that structural integrity is maintained.
FRP tank linings can be applied by spraying on the FRP linings or by applying the coating by hand. In either case, the surface must be prepared, then the primer is applied at a thickness of 1 to 3 mils.
Thereafter, the resin is applied in a heavy layer, followed by a finish coat that is a layer of polyester resin serving as a seal coat.
What are the Advantages of FRP Tanks, Linings, and Repairs?
Fiberglass linings and repairs can offer:
- A lifespan of more than 35 years in many installations.
- Faster installation compared to other repair approaches, thus minimizing downtime.
- A strong durable surface.
- Budget-friendly tank maintenance.
- A proven record of repair success.
Call the Experts for Fiberglass Tank Repair Work
Contact Picon FRP, Inc., based in San Pablo, CA and serving the San Francisco Bay Area. Picon is a full-service manufacturer and field service provider of industrial fiber reinforced plastic and anti-corrosion products, tank repairs, and custom fabrication. Our products provide corrosion resistance, chemical resistance, heat resistance, abrasion resistance, and more.
You must be logged in to post a comment.